Pages

Welcome

" Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Charity

I have been doing operation secret sister 
for a young lady in our church that is getting ready to graduate high school.
Each week I try to give her a little gift or a note 
with some words of wisdom
...not that I am that wise,  mind you,
but I try to think of things  that I wish I had known and understood 
when I was just graduating high school.
As I have reflected on these ideas and things that I wish I had known
 20 something years ago, one thing keeps coming up...
CHARITY!
I think that I am FINALLY figuring out that charity is so much more than
donating unwanted clothing to DI...
 or giving canned food to the scouts....
or taking a meal to someone who just had a baby...
Don't get me wrong, those are all wonderful ways to show charity.
But I am figuring out that charity is more of an attitude than an action.
The action reflects our attitude.
The more charitable our attitude, 
the more opportunities we then recognize 
to exercise the action of charity.
In the book, Daughters in My Kingdom (pg 99)
It shares a quote by President Thomas S Monson:
"I consider charity - or 'the pure love of Christ' -  to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper. Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.
I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress, but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.
There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere. Needed is the charity which refuses to find satisfaction in hearing or in repeating the reports and misfortunes that come to others, unless by so doing, the unfortunate one may be benefited.
Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are."

THAT is what I have been thinking, but I lack the talent to so beautifully describe it. That is the thing I want most for my daughters to understand as they venture out on their own and start a new life. Be charitable... don't be stingy with your love and your charity.
One thing that my dad tried to teach me...
 "Those who deserve love the least, need it the most"
Daddy.... After all these years... I finally get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment